On Sunday, 08 January 2023 at 10:45, Vitaly Zaitsev via rpmfusion-developers
wrote:
> On 07/01/2023 22:53, Dominik Mierzejewski wrote:
> > You could've simply refrained from doing the update before investigating
> > why the new dependency is x86_64-only.
>
> Nothing bad happened. Only Rawhide package was updated and x86_64 is a
> primary architecture. I doubt someone uses this package on aarch64 or
> ppc64le.

I have an aarch64 machine where I test stuff, including RPM Fusion
packages. But you're right, the number of HandBrake users on non-x86_64
arches is probably close to zero. Still, there's no reason to exclude
them if the amount of effort required to keep HB building on other
arches is low, as in this case.

> Users have asked to update this package.

Where?

> They even started using a different repository that conflicts with RPM
> Fusion.

That is irrelevant.

> > I meant contacting HandBrake package maintainers in RPM Fusion instead
> > of just using your provenpackager privileges to do the update.
>
> I asked the RPM Fusion admins on IRC and they let me do the update.

Are any of the people you asked listed as HandBrake package maintainers?
If yes, then it's fine, though I'd have preferred to be notified that
you were working on an update. I'll try to be on IRC more often this
year, but I'm quite busy usually and I often forget to open my IRC
client.

If not, then I'm surprised that you think contacting infrastructure
admins instead of maintainers is appropriate behaviour. In Fedora, do
you ask the infrastructure team for permission to make an update to a
package you don't maintain?

> > The package is not unmaintained, but you have not opened a bugzilla
> > ticket or even sent a message to us.
>
> Your last commit was on 2022-02-17.

That's correct. What's your point?

> > Now, I don't mind your doing the update, don't get me wrong. However,
> > I do mind not doing due diligence before doing the update. Please do
> > better next time.
>
> I will avoid touching your packages in the future. Sorry about that.

I don't think you understood, so let me rephrase: I don't mind if you
touch packages where I'm listed as maintainer. I think you're doing well
both here and in Fedora. I'm just asking you to put in a bit of effort.

Regards,
Dominik
--
Fedora   https://getfedora.org  |  RPM Fusion  http://rpmfusion.org