2008/11/13 Aurelie Bornot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Ok
> So I tried the same chart in python/rpy and in R.
>
> Here are the lines I type in python/rpy :
> m = pylab.load("test.data")
> array([[  1.,   2.],
>        [  2.,   3.],
>        [  3.,   4.],
>        [  4.,   5.],
>        [  5.,   6.],
>        [  6.,   7.],
>        [  7.,   8.],
>        [  8.,   9.],
>        [  9.,  10.]])
> r.postscript("TEST_Rpy.ps")
> r.plot(m[:,0],m[:,1])
> r.dev_off()
> {'null device': 1}
>
> And here are the lines I type in R:
> m=read.table("test.data")
>   V1 V2
> 1  1  2
> 2  2  3
> 3  3  4
> 4  4  5
> 5  5  6
> 6  6  7
> 7  7  8
> 8  8  9
> 9  9 10
> postscript("TEST_R.ps")
> plot(m[,1],m[,2])
> dev.off()
> null device
>           1
>
> I join the file test.data and the 2 postscript outputs.
> The 2 postscripts are of the same size but I can't open TEST_Rpy.ps.
> TEST_R.ps is ok for me : I can open it without problem.
>
> Can you see another difference between the two?

 Yes! Commas!

Running 'diff' on them gives lots of these:

< 59.76 502.43 (10) .5 0 90 t
---
> 59,76 107,25 (2) .5 0 90 t

 I didn't notice it at first, but numbers are comma separated in the
python version. This must be a locale-specific way of showing decimal
numbers that's only set in Python...

 PostScript is expecting those numbers to have decimal points (they
are coordinates on the page), and not commas, and hence it gets
confused. I reckon in theory you could make R do this without
involving Python, so it could be an R bug. I wouldn't report it as an
R bug until you can do that though.

Weird!

Barry