On 27 November 2013 12:43, Dirk Eddelbuettel <e...@debian.org> wrote:

> So you end up _running_ R.  And hence inherit its license.
>
> This is not my project (and I merely look after its integration into Debian
> and thereby also Ubuntu) but I would want to make it very clear that tools
> like RPy2 (or RInside) cannot be used to circumvent or weaken the R
> license.

I don't think anyone is trying to circumvent R's license. However, as I
understand it, it's still possible for the code in rpy2 to be dual licensed
with a more permissive license, right? Anyone distributing a project which
includes rpy2 would still be bound by the GPL from R, but dual licensing
would allow easier movement of code between rpy2 and other Python projects.

Thomas