On 2010-01-26 17:48, Fred Baker wrote:

> On Jan 26, 2010, at 5:34 AM, Noel Chiappa wrote:
>
>> Are you really propose dumping 10 million PI entries into the DFZ?
>
> Yes; anyone who proposes general PI addressing is talking about that.

Firstly, I'd like to support the ten million estimate. Based on the
projected world population of just under ten billion by 2050, that
amounts to one enterprise per thousand humans, and that seems to be
roughly what you find in the available data for developed economies
(ignoring dummy companies and sole practioners). So if you believe
that SOHO customers, including mobile phones, do not need PI prefixes,
10 million PI prefixes is about right.

We had this discussion two years ago, iirc. The real disagreement was
not about this estimate, but about whether we need to solve the problem
only for those 10 million PI EID prefixes, or for a much larger number
of SOHO+mobile EID prefixes.

    Brian