Hi Fred,

I am keen for you to provide a guide to exactly how RANGER would
be used for scalable routing, with details of the mapping system,
multihoming, TE and mobility etc. and why this would be a better
choice than LISP or Ivip.

The only other CES architecture, TIDR, can't solve the biggest
single scaling problem - the burden on the DFZ control plane due
to each additional end-user prefix.

The 6 or so CEE proposals are not suitable for widespread
voluntary adoption, and I think I will argue against them on
other grounds as well.  The remaining proposals are not full
solutions to the routing scaling problem.

So that leaves LISP, RANGER and Ivip.

You wrote:

> I will respond to the RANGER portion of the critique later,
> but in terms of the SEAL portion please be sure you are
> evaluating the correct version. The latest SEAL spec is
> found here:
>
>   http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-templin-intarea-seal
>
> and fully supports jumbograms.

Yes - I was referring to an earlier version.

My critique of RANGER was based on:

http://tools.ietf.org/rfcmarkup?rfc-repository=http://www.rfc-editor.org/authors&doc=rfc5720&topmenu=true&document=draft-templin-ranger-09&docreplaces=draft-templin-ranger-09&title=RFC-EDITOR+AUTH48+REVIEW+COPY&extrastyle=body+{background-color:%23fee%3b}

This is an RFC-to-be 5720 "January 2010" which I found by
clicking a link "RFC-to-be" at the top of:

   http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-templin-ranger-09  (26 October 2009)

My critique of SEAL was based on:

http://tools.ietf.org/rfcmarkup?rfc-repository=http://www.rfc-editor.org/authors&doc=rfc5320&topmenu=true&document=draft-templin-seal-23&docreplaces=draft-templin-seal-23&title=RFC-EDITOR+AUTH48+REVIEW+COPY&extrastyle=body+{background-color:%23fee%3b}

This is an RFC-to-be 5320 "January 2010" which I found by
clicking a link "RFC-to-be" at the top of:

   http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-templin-seal-23  (28 October 2008)

The RANGER summary:

   http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg05665.html

links to draft-templin-ranger-09, so it seems I was looking at
the correct RANGER document.  I see now that the summary links to
the later SEAL document "draft-templin-intarea-seal-08".

Searching for SEAL with the Google option at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/ will lead most people to the
"draft-templin-seal-23" page, since this is currently the first
search result.

Can you terminate this zombie strand of SEAL IDs, especially
since it leads to an apparently up-to-date RFC-to-be?

This prompted me to realise I have a dead-end ID:

  draft-whittle-ivip4-etr-addr-forw-01

which is continued under another name, without the '4'. I will
post a short -02 version to point people to the new IDs.

In http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-templin-ranger-09 the SEAL
reference does link to draft-templin-intarea-seal-07, but in the
RFC-to-be - which is a later version of draft-templin-ranger-09 -
the SEAL reference doesn't link to anything.  It does give a
later date - October 2009 - than the October 2008 date of
draft-templin-seal-23, but that is easily missed.  So people
are likely to use the Google facility and pick the top result,
which has an impressively high version number, and then
follow the link to the RFC-to-be 5320, which displays a January
2010 date.

I will look at the latest SEAL draft:

  http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-templin-intarea-seal-re-02

 - Robin