top posting: Robin, I just sent you and Javier my comment on the prev critique (since we three agreed to collaborate on this), without checking RRG mailing first and hence missed this msg before sending.

I believe your critique captured some missing issues from the prev one (in particular the need for majority of hosts taking adoption to bring up benefits). I also think a few points deserve further clarification:

- DNS lookup: my group has done lots work on DNS performance over the years. The results show that DNS can be, and in many places has been, engineered to provide fast responses (thanks largely to effective DNS caching, here I refer to caching of infrastructure RRs, NS and glue RRs). Thus look up delay should not be a major concern.

- name-based socket removes application/host dependency on IP addresses, not necessarily PI addresses. Network operations often have preference of using PI addresses (network management, no renumbering, etc), independent from what host socket is based on.

- in the loc/ID separation context, name-based socket has an advantage over random identifiers in that a DNS name can be used for look up, and the latter can't or difficult to do (if ID lookup is needed). So I see name-based socket can be a long term direction to look into, even though it does not directly address routing scalability.

Lixia