Brian E Carpenter wrote:
On 2010-01-31 09:07, Noel Chiappa wrote:
    > From: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpen...@gmail.com>

    > At least in the case of IPv6, this has proved much easier than getting
    > something adopted by CPE vendors or ISPs.

Yes, that strategy has resulted in _such_ widespread useage of IPv6... NOT!

Indeed. But not because it isn't installed and in many cases enabled.
The problems are real, but not in the o/s stacks. That's exactly my
point - for the RRG problem space, we need to be very precise about
where the adoption sticking points are. For v6 they are in too many
different places, hence the chicken/egg problem.

Actually, the primary point from all of this is that dissemination of the bits is NOT the hard part. The more challenging part is finding equal motivations for all parties to actually enable the changes.

For v6, there was and is no upside for the carriers. This _could_ have been designed in, but the v6 cabal passed. And so here we sit.

Have we learned this lesson yet?

Tony