Noel Chiappa allegedly wrote on 01/30/2010 13:40 EST:
> While I agree there's probably not agreement of a specific technical
> proposal, what about architectural direction(s)? E.g. I thought we did have
> rough consensus on the need for the separation of location and identity?

Yes and I think we've distilled "locator/identifier separation" down to:
To the extent possible, identification functions should stop depending
on location-dependent inputs.  However, (1) we are still unresolved
about what network-layer support is needed for identification -- for
example even if we need whole node identifiers, stack names, etc. -- and
(2) we don't have specifics about what to do about "legacy" identification.

> Also, can we say anything about CEE/CES? I think a lot of people think that
> CES is sort of necessary for the short term, because any solution will never
> really get deployed otherwise. At the same time, there appear to be reasons
> that a solution has to be able to migrate in the CEE direction in the long
> term. I don't know how many agree with these, but it might be worth exploring
> that.

I don't think it's a good idea to declare either approach the long term
winner, since we can't know what the future holds and even if one wins
there will be new approaches by then.  A CES approach may be able to
migrate to CEE in the long term, but also vice versa.  Ideally we should
document how they interwork and make deployment of both easy -- whether
both get deployed or not, that's architecturally a good idea.

Joel M. Halpern allegedly wrote on 01/30/2010 13:59 EST:
> If someone wants to add text on Identifier / Locator separation as a
> useful architectural principle, I guess I can't object.  Although we
> have not actually done a very good job of articulating why it matters in
> conjunction with things like Multipath TCP.  (I think it does still
> matter.  My point is that we do not have a good description of why.)

I am glad to _help_ but I hesitate to commit to writing it up all by
myself by the deadline (no time!).  If you, for example, want to take
responsibility for the text, we can have some good phone calls.

Scott