On Jan 30, 2010, at 10:40 AM, Noel Chiappa wrote:

From: "Joel M. Halpern" <j...@joelhalpern.com>

I can not foresee any process which would come to an actual agreement
on a recommendation from the RRG, and therefore conclude that the
survey is probably the most effective outcome we can achieve as a
community.

While I agree there's probably not agreement of a specific technical
proposal, what about architectural direction(s)? E.g. I thought we did have rough consensus on the need for the separation of location and identity?

True, the workshop a couple of years back (Amsterdam?) I think already
recommended this, so we're not breaking a lot of new ground there; still, it
would be useful to re-affirm that conclusion, in a larger group.

(I'm sweeping through all RRG exchanges trying to collect the arch related issues) I saw Tony already confirmed this point earlier: yes we have a rough consensus on documenting the need for separating location and identity.

However I also see gap/ambiguity still exists on concept and terminology. devils always in details. I believe when Noel mentioned "identity" he probably had in mind some entity identity (there has been debate on whether host identity or stack identity), not interface identity (that'd move us back to address)

And how about IPv4 support? Is a solution which doesn't support IPv4 judged to
be plausible? Do most people agree with that one?

(personal opinion) pragmatically we need solutions to keep today's IP4 world going. IP6 rollout is likely to be a very loooong process.

Also, can we say anything about CEE/CES? I think a lot of people think that CES is sort of necessary for the short term, because any solution will never really get deployed otherwise. At the same time, there appear to be reasons that a solution has to be able to migrate in the CEE direction in the long term. I don't know how many agree with these, but it might be worth exploring
that.

(again personal opinion) to me it's a markable step to classify various proposals into CEE/CES. It may all look obvious now, but two years back we did not have such a clear view. As Joel pointed out, CEE/CES is not architecture per se by itself. However in our report writing, I see CEE/CES useful as it can help sort out different types of solutions, and we can explain the different design tradeoffs made by each type.

Lixia