> From: Lixia Zhang <li...@cs.ucla.edu>

    > it is about coding the ISP/AS# as *first* part of the address, and
    > having geo info only *after* that. In this case the above comment does
    > not seem applicable.

It depends on how many layers of abstraction (aggregation, sort of) you want
to have in your network-location naming system - because the same logic as I
described in the original message applies at each recursive layer of
abstraction in the network-location naming system. In other words, the scheme
you describe above limits you to one level of abstraction (aggregation) in
the path-selection.

Since we would like the routing overhead to scale as something like O(lnN) as
network size (i.e. N) grows, and since a single-level abstraction system will
have overhead growth of O(N) (since a single level of abstraction represents
a constant scaling factor), I myself am dubious that a single level of
abstraction will suffice,

Is your scheme above the result of an assertion that you think a single level
will be sufficient, or what?

        Noel