From: rrg-boun...@irtf.org [mailto:rrg-boun...@irtf.org] On Behalf Of Brian E
Carpenter
Sent: Thursday, April 15, 2010 2:46 PM
To: Templin, Fred L
Cc: Tony Li; IRTF Routing RG
Subject: Re: [rrg] Proposal for recommendation language

Hi Fred,

On 2010-04-16 05:00, Templin, Fred L wrote:
> But, how can we give the customers the perceived advantages of PI
> without locking them into a PA "matrix"?
> How can we make it so that the ISPs serve the customers instead of the
> other way around? The IRON-RANGER solution to this is simple; have the
> ISPs give the customers PA addresses, but then let them use the PA
> addresses as a springboard into PI. Then, the customer border routers
> get exposed to PA addresses, but the customer internal networks get to
> use PI and get to multihome whether or not multi-addressing is also
> used. So why not have a combined PA/PI scenario instead of strictly
> one vs the other? Wouldn't that tend to have some bearing on the RRG
> recommendation?

Well, to take a few other examples, SHIM6, LISP, NAT66 and ILNP can all be
construed to provide the same effect, to a close approximation. (You can
quibble, for example SHIM6's ULID is in fact an arbitrary PA address, although
it behaves like PI for the host, but broadly, they're all isomorphic).

IMHO that's why it's hard to choose. All solutions are equivalent at a
sufficient level of abstraction, so the choice depends on details, and we're
never going to agree on the details.

    Brian