Joel,
there are several aspects that let me criticize the PNNI topology aggregation
based on my present knowledge:

We aggregated the border-to-border physical links (based on the Aggrgation
Token which was invented by G.Swallow due to my own contribution)
and not the network by skimming its topology for a view from the far.
The Complex Node Representation wasn't satisfactory at all.
I guess those who came up with the (bad) STRETCH factor had in mind
hierarchical routing a la PNNI.

I pointed out several times what I called Istanbul effect. That poor property
applies to PNNI for sure.

Related though not part of the topology aggregation is its address
summarization: DCC, ICD, E.164. Even 3 address families. A lot of prefix
building work, which is the main part of the current and so-called scalability
problem. As I have demonstrated: Prefix building isn't needed at all.

The really good thing about PNNI was - from my personal point of view- to see
and experience  the courage to go for implementing such a hierarchy at all. It
makes me go for some better one, though.

Heiner