Robin,

On Nov 12, 2012, at 9:22 PM, Robin Whittle <r...@firstpr.com.au> wrote:
> Hi Shane,
>
> Thanks for these links.  The Verizon Wireless slide 14 had no
> information on how the IPv6 traffic volume compared with that of IPv4.
> Maybe such information was implied in slide 13 but I couldn't clearly
> understand it.

No operators share traffic volume statistics publicly, for competitive reasons.
 I work as an operator, I should know.  :-)

> Comcast stated that "approximately 6% of the 2012 Olympics served over
> YouTube to Comcast customers was over IPv6."  This is a substantial
> share of real ordinary user traffic.  I wonder what the impetus for this
> was - why didn't the hosts use IPv4?

Ask Comcast?  But, if I were to guess, I would suspect that implementation of
"Happy Eyeballs" <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Eyeballs> in client
Operating Systems (Mac OS X) and browsers (i.e.: Chrome, Firefox, etc.)
*slightly* favors IPv6 transport compared to IPv4 transport during DNS
resolution and connection set-up.  Viola: more v6 traffic than v4.

-shane