From: rrg [mailto:rrg-boun...@irtf.org] On Behalf Of William Herrin
Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 2014 7:59 PM
To: RRG
Subject: Re: [rrg] procedural aggregation

Hi Folks,

Here's another circumstance worth mentioning. This particular one is an
undesirable case that exists in BGP today. It would be better if it didn't
work. When I get to procedural aggregation, it'll be important to consider
whether my notions make this scenario worse.

You have three networks: A, B and C. A peers with B, B peers with C.

A-B-C

You have a customer, W. W buys transit service from A (gige) and B (T1).

A-B-C
| /

W announces 10.1.2.0/23 to B and announces 10.1.2.0/24 plus 10.1.3.0/24 to A.

Because W is a customer, B announces 10.1.2.0/23 to C but as soon as the packet
arrives at B from C, B sends it to A because of the more specific route it
heard from A.

This allows W to draw a gige of traffic through B even though he's only paying
for a T1.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--