I understand where you're coming from Tom. But it's currently two
script/plugin installs to start using RSpec with Rails, making it be
three (the current two plus a mocking framework) is presumably not
going to change adoption or the hurdle of using RSpec by much. I
currently use Mocha because I can use it both with Test::Unit and
RSpec. I have a big legacy of Test::Unit tests and I want to be able
to maintain those and use mocking there, with the same syntax as in
RSpec. That's why I don't use the built in mocking in RSpec.

Peter

On Sep 1, 2007, at 11:04 AM, Tom Stuart wrote:

> On 1 Sep 2007, at 09:31, rupert wrote:
>>>  Are we planning on dumping the mock framework in favor of using
>>> Mocha
>> The idea has been banded around on the dev list recently
>
> This makes me sad, because it means only one thing for the majority
> of users: more hassle. So now I have to choose a mocking framework
> too (an arbitrary choice, thus a gamble), or else configure RSpec to
> keep working the way it used to work, and watch my mocking code slide
> into obsolescence? Sigh.
>
> I agree that it's a big win for the RSpec developers to not have to
> deal with the distraction of maintaining a mocking framework, but
> it's vaguely surprising that nobody's mentioned how valuable it is
> that RSpec is a tidy, coherent, consistent, integrated BDD tool that
> just works out of the box right now. (And newcomers still find it
> impenetrable!) It looks like it's inevitable that it'll be broken up,
> but, yeah, it's a real shame.
>
> Cheers,
> -Tom

----------------------------
Peter Marklund
Garvar Lundins Gränd 7
11220 Stockholm
Sweden

Mobile Phone: +46-(0)70-4164857
Home Phone: +46-(0)8-50091315
Skype: peter_marklund

IM: AIM - petermarklund, MSN - [EMAIL PROTECTED], Yahoo -
peter_marklund2002

http://marklunds.com