additionally,

since my

*foo.should_receive(...

*expectation
*
*is actually in a private helper method ('expect_call') on the example group
I will need to pull this code up into a block, since not all callers pass a
hash with :some_key set

viz:

#helper_method
*def expect_call
  foo.should_receiver(:bar) do |hash|
    yield hash
  end
end*

then those examples which dont care about my array ordering problem (or
rather care that it is in order!) can just do:

*expect_call do |actual_hash|
  actual_hash.should == {:some => 'expected_value', :other => [4,5,6]}
end*

and the one case that does care can do:

*expect_call do |actual_hash|
    actual = **actual_hash[:some_key]
    **actual_hash**[:some_key] = nil
    **actual_hash.should == {
      :my => 'expected'
      :other => 1
      :ields => :in_the_hash
    }
    actual.should =~ [1,2,3]
** end*

does this sound sensible?

Thanks so much again - I have your book :) and although I'm new to it I
really enjoy rspec!