On 16 Oct 2000, Todd Robinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > If so, please do a `ls -l' to show the permissions, and post the
> > results.
>
> The permissions are varied.  But, the local machine from where I am getting
> the 'unlink' messages, I am executing rsync as root.

OK, thanks.  However I'll note in passing that rsync tries to pass
(it's idea of) relevant error messages back from the server to the
client, so they're not *necessarily* client-side errors.

> I'll use part of the rsync source file.
>
> Issued the following command as root:
>
>  rsync -avvvz /tmp/rsync-2.4.6/lib fdops3::marktg 2>&1 > /rsync.txt
>
> The unlink message went to the console not the file, it was:
>
>  unlink rsync-2.4.6/lib : Not privileged

That's pretty strange, for two reasons: as far as I knew, everything
ought to go to stderr, stdout, or the log file.  When you say
"console", do you mean it comes out in your current window, or it goes
to the actual VGA adapter/serial console of the server?

Thanks,
--
Martin Pool, Linuxcare, Inc.
+61 2 6262 8990