"A month of sundays ago Dave Dykstra wrote:"
> a small modification to the rsync source.  You could delete the check
> for !S_ISREG in generator.c where it prints "skipping non-regular file",

There's one in skip_file.

  That takes notice of "always_checksum" if it's a regular file.
  Fine. I don't care. I want this either way. Removed.

There's another in recv_generator. That's whre it prints skipping .

   Removed.

There's another a few lines further along.

  Seems to be the compare_dest case, not sure what it's checking.
  Removed as I don't care.

And another after a few more lines .. more removal.

Fortunately I'm only interested in a really trivial case!

> make the rsync destination be the temporary file on a regular file
> filesystem, and use --compare-dest to get rsync to compare to your target
> partition (assuming the temporary file doesn't exist before you begin).

Can you point me at how to achieve overwriting instead of going to a
temporary file? Is it in receiver.c? receive_data()? It seems to rely
on write_file(). But the fd is already open by the time we get there.
Can you give me an idea of the call sequence?

Peter