On 31 May 2001, thomas graichen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> did anyone here get rsync tunneled through ssh working so far?
>
> just to make clear what i mean: i only have an ssh connection
> to a host b (say mine is host a) and want to rsync stuff from
> host c this way (because i can't do it directly due to fire-
> wall limitations)

There probably is a solution to forwarding ports this way, but why
not just use plain ssh connections?  (OK, I can imagine a couple of
cases, where perhaps you want many machines on the originating end
to share the tunnel.  But that won't be allowed using the
ssh syntax you showed.)

> host-a> ssh -L873:host-c:873 host-b
> host-b>
>
> then also on host a
>
> host-a> rsync -av localhost::something .
>
> always only results in
>
> @ERROR: protocol startup error
>
> which (as far as i can see) comes from the other end server's
> clientserver.c because he can't see me - but why? - i tried it
> several times with different machines - i even get the motd of
> the server if it has one before the above error - so the
> connection and the forwarding seems to work ... i use rsync
> 2.4.6 and openssh 2.5.2 ... any ideas anyone? did anyone get
> something like this working? (and just to make it clear again:
> this has nothing to do with the "-e ssh" option - just to
> avoid confusion - i am talking about tunneling the 873 rsync
> port through ssh)

That should work.

Perhaps rsync at the other end is very old?

You must be root on host-a to be able to forward ports under 1024.
Does it work if you use a different local port number, e.g.

  host-a> ssh -L 8730:host-c:873 host-b
  host-a> rsync -av --port 8730 localhost::

What happens if you use ssh -v?  Do you see messages about
connections being forwarded?

--
Martin