Rusty Carruth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> thomas graichen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Martin Pool <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Never needed to send that through ssh.  I forward smtp and nntp and
> pop all the time through ssh...

i too :-) ... i was just wondering a bit why it did not work
with rsync ...

> Or rsync some how needs a connection back, like ftp does?

no - i don't think so

> Wait!  Martin just posted to the list again and said that
> other ports don't forward also.  Could it be that the machine
> you are ssh'ing to does not allow port forwarding???

>> > What happens if you use ssh -v?  Do you see messages about
>> > connections being forwarded?
>>
>> yes - portforwarding works (as said: you even get the motd
>> from the server if it has one and the @ERROR message is also
>> generated from the server side!)

> Hmm.  I'm not certain yet that I've seen a difinitive (sp?)
> yes or no about port forwarding working fully.  It LOOKS
> like it works, but:

> Just for grins and giggles, try this:

> ssh whoever@wherever -L 1234:there.wherever:23

> Then, from the machine you ran that ssh command on,
> try 'telnet localhost 1234' and you should get a telnet
> login prompt from 'there.wherever' - this will verify that
> port forwarding indeed works.  (I just tried that command with
> port 22 and it definately is the right syntax for port forwarding ;-)

> Make sure you use the machines you plan to do the actual
> rsync from first, and if those fail try other combinations
> (especially using machines you control, so you can have
> a better chance of seeing debugging output ;-)

> If they've got this:
> # Be paranoid by default
> Host *
>         ForwardAgent no
>         ForwardX11 no

> set in their ssh config or someting similar in their sshd.config
> then you may have to come up with a workaround....  I've wondered
> about using a local (personal) sshd running on non-priv port that
> has been enabled to do forwarding - but fortunately all my servers
> I use allow forwarding.

> Beyond that I'm stuck (clue challenged! :-)

>> any other ideas? - again - thanks in advance

> I don't suppose you (Martin) could set it up locally and see what happens
> on the server side logs?  If I had any time I'd try it here for you,
> but I'd probably break our current rsync job ;-)

i'm thomas btw. :-)

just tried the forwarding with and smtp port the same way and
it worked fine

[tgr@tecklenburg2 tgr]$ telnet localhost 11025
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 lists.samba.org ESMTP Postfix

:-) ... only rsync does not work - thats why i posted - i somehow
assumed - that there is a real problem with rsync and ssh tunneling
... hmm - but if martin has it working now ... lets see what he says

thanks so far

thomas graichen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ... perfection is reached, not
when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no
longer anything to take away. --- antoine de saint-exupery