Hello Ben,

I'm not sure another rsyslog on the Logstash side will help if the
bottleneck is on indexing to Elasticsearch.

AFAIK logstash has an internal buffer of 20 or so entries, and when that's
full (because the output is not fast enough) it blocks the input. At this
point, you need to queue on whatever outputs to Logstash. Whether that's
done by rsyslog on the client or on the Logstash side, I don't think it
matters.

I would try a performance test using elasticsearch_http with bulks. After
you find a good bulk size for your setup, 10 to 100x gain in performance
won't be a surprise.

If that doesn't help, I see two options:
- scale Logstash on multiple instances/servers
- use omelasticsearch. I've used it quite a lot, and will be using it a
whole lot more. No significant issues so far - if ES goes down, it will
queue. As for performance, I've indexed 20K logs/s on a laptop.

Best regards,
Radu