On Sat, 2 Mar 2013, Ben Bradley wrote:

At the moment my logs are just going over the network using tcp syslog (omfwd). Are there any other transport formats (JSON?) that are supported by Rsyslog that can be read by logstash?

look at the lumberjack option in logstash, rsyslog supports JSON output, and is very involved with lumberjack

http://blog.gerhards.net/2012/04/rsyslog-templates-json.html

http://www.rsyslog.com/tag/lumberjack/

there are multiple ways of specifying the output, both per-field and as a 'send everything'

I still worry about syslog message size limits, although I actually see very few of these as the longest log messages are cut off by being over Apache's 8192 byte request limit or by /sbin/logger

you can set rsyslog to have a much larger limit (I know I've seen >32K)