On 02/12/2014 01:37 PM, David Lang wrote:

The most telling example for me is this:
I wanted rsyslog for the reliability and security, so I had to use at
least v7.5.8 with libRELP.
After installing and configuring and experimenting and finally getting
a working setup, it was still not reliable.
The missing magic was "action.resumeRetryCount" - but I had to ask
about it in the mailing list, and only after some discussion did
Rainer himself mentioned the solution.
Even the most common tutorial (as returned by google) doesn't mention
this key:
http://www.rsyslog.com/using-tls-with-relp/

In short, for a beginner, it was hard to get things right.

and in all of this, did you see why being too reliable can be a problem?
I suspect not, and the fact that you didn't is also a problem

I did not, and I'd appreciate any explanations (or pointers to explanations).

I'd assume it's something related to TCP being more taxing on the network, and the fact the dropped packets in UDP will just be "lost", while dropped packets in TCP will cause the connection to retransmit/fail.