The problem is that there's not much that rsyslog can do.

It can't write to the files (they are owned by the old copy)

It can't write to the old copy (it's shutdown it's input as it's trying to stop cleanly)

It can't reliably write to stderr because most of the distro startup scripts capture this output and don't show it to the user (this is probably what's happening when you find that it's waiting for user input but doesn't show any prompt and you need to control-c to get out)

now, you say this is new behavior for you, so what changed?

are you using a different version, different storage? are these VMs?

David Lang