Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2014 17:30:26 -0700
From: Kendall Green <kendallar...@gmail.com>
To: rsyslog-users <rsyslog@lists.adiscon.com>
Subject: Re: [rsyslog] Question on DoDie

Verified SELinux is disabled on both VMware instance and baremetal
installs, and no systemd, only the traditional service init functions.
There doesn't appear to be any differences between the scripts:
/etc/init.d/rsyslog and the /etc/rc.d/rc#.d/S12rsyslog

There appears to be something ''unknown'' happening on vmware instance for
service init, which could relate to the udev rules, kdump, being different
from baremetal, or another aspect which makes a difference when setting
DebugOnDemand and starting from /etc/init.d/rsyslog instead of service
rsyslog start.

Both methods of starting the rsyslog service appears to work, but will not
stop and restart properly. However stop/start/restart will succeed
consecutively, only when started by '/etc/init.d/rsyslog start' while
DebugOnDemand value set for rsyslog debug env.

Since it is consistently, only a problem on systems that are VMs on 8.2.2
and now 8.4.2, even with RHEL6.2 recently upgraded to RHEL6.5 and issue
persists.

Anyone have an answer to more specific difference between init.d/rsyslog
start and service rsyslog start on RHEL6.x?

Thanks!