Correct, the only thing changed was the rsyslog version.

I know it's strange and understand it's controlled by init, but to me it's
very odd that the hang is so deviant when there is literally no
saveonshutdown, no queues, it's a vanilla install in at least 2 instances.

I figured it bared mentioning given the issues mentioned previously on a VM
instance (in the 7.6.X stability thread.)

Ultimately I can live with the "ok" messages and putting in a sleep between
my init script 'restart' function, what REALLY bothers me though is the
case of the missing exit messages. On my baremetal hosts I get the exit
messages, etc. without incident, on my VM hosts however, that message seems
to almost be non-existant (or in my case will RARELY generate the dodie
message prior to seeing the 'start' message)

So in summary, I can live with the init, but the lack of standard process
exit information I'm used to seeing on all prior versions (and currently
see on baremetal 8.2.X) concerns me that there is other information that
just isn't being processed correctly.