On 03/12/15 13:07, Thomas D. wrote:
Rainer Gerhards wrote:
that probably has to do with the fact that we fixed the library versioning.
I admit we did it wrongly so far, so I have little experience with the
proper way and its implications. I guess, we need to rebuild the rsyslog
packages. Will initiate that.

Right, you must rebuild against the the SO name version you are using.

Yes, that needs to be done every time the value of first-digit-minus-third-digit of the soname changes.

Don't forget to require liblognorm-1.1.1 in your packages if you build
them against liblognorm-1.1.1 because if you link against
liblognorm-1.1.1 you can't use previous versions anymore (or you have to
rebuild...).

Actually, at least for RPM, that is not necessary, generally speaking. During the build, dependency on a specific soname is automatically recorded in the depending package:

$ rpm -qR rsyslog-mmnormalize | grep liblognorm
liblognorm.so.2()(64bit)

Upstream tracker shows[0] that 1.1.1 is backwards compatible to 1.1.0, so unless you need the symbols that were added in 1.1.1, versioning the dependency in the package shouldn't be required.

(And looking at the actual soname - 2:0:0 - since the "age" part wasn't incremented, the library will be considered as not backwards compatible and the requirement has to be placed on the newest version.)

Tomas

http://upstream.rosalinux.ru/versions/liblognorm.html