> Interesting. I am currently taking a look at this. As far as I understood
> then, the current packages for RHEL/CentOS should be ok, but those for
> Debian and Ubuntu are not. Is this correct so far?

Since I don't have experience with RPM packaging, take my reply with a
grain of salt:

RPM library package names are usually unversioned and the dependencies
are calculated automatically based on the soname. If you want more
fine-grained dependency information (say symbol foo was introduced in
version 1.2.3), you need symbols versioning [1], for this to work
properly in RPM

Michael

[1] https://sourceware.org/binutils/docs/ld/VERSION.html

universe are pointed away from Earth?