Currently rsyslog does not support reloading the config without a full stop and start.

A large part of this is that the config loads code that changes the internals of rsyslog, and rsyslog has not gone to the effort to make it so that this code can be removed cleanly.

There has been some discussion about having some limited portions able to be changed (add/remove inputs to support containers for example, but there has not been enough interest to move this up to the top of the todo list.

The advantage of reloading the config rather than restarting rsyslog is that if you are using UDP to deliver logs to rsyslog, during the restart some logs will be lost that _may_ not be lost in a reload (depending on system queue sizes and how long the reload takes, etc)

In prctice, this has not been a very significant problem (outsie of issue supporting containers as I allude to above)