note that even if the UDP socket does not get closed, if you go too long without reading from it the OS buffer will fill up and messages will be lost.

David Lang

On Tue, 5 Jan 2021, Shirisha Dasari via rsyslog wrote:

Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2021 04:22:22 -0700 (MST)
From: Shirisha Dasari via rsyslog <rsyslog@lists.adiscon.com>
To: rsyslog@lists.adiscon.com
Cc: Shirisha Dasari <shirisha.das...@broadcom.com>
Subject: Re: [rsyslog] rsyslog and config reload

Thanks Rainer and Yury for the responses.

I was looking at another option for this message loss issue. I see that
rsyslog supports systemd socket activation for the imuxsock module where-in
systemd spawns the socket and hands over the fd to imuxsock. In the case of
an rsyslog restart, the socket is still available and hence no messages are
lost.

rsyslogd: imuxsock: Acquired UNIX socket '/run/systemd/journal/syslog' (fd
3) from systemd.  [v8.1901.0]

Can this be extended to the imudp module? We could have systemd create the
UDP socket too and pass the fd to imudp like imuxsock. I do understand that
the socket parameters in this case are user-defined.

--
Sent from: http://rsyslog-users.1305293.n2.nabble.com/