I can suggest a few things to work this around.

At first you should clearly understand log messages can (and will) be lost.
It's ok. rsyslog (and any log collector) is not a database.

Then I guess you're using UDP on localhost to deliver messages from your
application to the rsyslog daemon.

I see 2 solutions there.

1. Switch to datagram unix socket. It'll block on write though so you
should adopt your application. But if the DGRAM socket is created by
systemd e.g. then OS will be able to hold a few DGRAM packets in the OS
queue during rsyslog daemon restart.

2. Use 2 rsyslog daemons running on localhost. First one is just to accept
messages on a UDP port and deliver them to another rsyslog instance via TCP
or RELP with a queue attached. Second rsyslog instance will do complex
things. So in most cases you will change 2nd instance configuration
changes. As you have a queue on 1st instance output you can restart 2nd
instance w/o losing messages here.

I'd even suggest you use the distro-bundled rsyslog version as 1st instance
and the latest rsyslog version in a container as 2nd instance.

--
Yury Bushmelev