Hello RT world

Does a fifo have to be created (using rtf_create or equivalent) in
kernel-space before it can simply be opened for reading in user-space?
The reason I ask is that I have been unable to open the /dev/rtf0 fifo in
user-space. I am actually running the user-space program as root
and the file permissions on the fifo device file are crw-r--r--.

I am missing something simple. Please help. Thanks.

Daniel