Cort Dougan wrote:

> Note that this is x86.  If your system requires FBCon (PPC and sparc) you
> need to learn to live with 810ms (yes, 810 milliseconds) worst-case with the
> rage128 card (similar performance for other video cards) with the linux
> low-latency patches.

I took a look at this crap a few days ago.  It's actually quite
straightforward to fix.

- Turn the console_lock into a semaphore
- If a printk comes in interrupt context and
  the semaphore is free, grab it and proceed
- If in_interrupt and the semephore is not
  free, buffer the printk output and let
  whoever holds the semaphore spit out
  the buffered data when it's about to
  return from printk.

Easy.

Problem is, I need an understanding of how useful
this would be to people.  My requirements troll
on linux-audio-dev doesn't seem to have elicited
a response.

Do we need it?  If so, how bad?