>       Excuse me for asking, but *why* would you want to do this?  If you
> have RTLinux you get hard real-time guarantees, which can be used in the same
> way low latency can.  As I remember, the low latency patch just sprinkled
> schedule() randomly on the kernel source like magic faery dust.  Shouldn't
> make a damn bit of difference to RTLinux, since it preempts the regular
> Linux kernel anytime it wants.  Don't know if there are any adverse effects
> the other way around, since I haven't tried this, since I don't see the point.

The point is that real-time applications have widely varying
requirements and, as people have been discussing recently, not everybody
wants to stuff their app into the more restricted and difficult
enviroment.

One drawback of running soft real-time apps in user space while running
hard real-time apps in RTLinux is that RTLinux will become a source of
latency for regular Linux.  In other words, if a RTLinux task has a WCET
of 1ms, then the worst-cast dispatch latency of regular Linux will be
increased by 1ms.

John