I believe the main frustration about Sprockets (not really its fault) is about JS dependencies management.

People often don't want to embed their JS libraries and frameworks in their source code. Some will prefer doing this due to the way how it integrates to their flow using JS tools.

Personally I'm using rails-assets.org for managing most of my JS dependencies.

What I'm saying is that there *is* the need for better dependencies management of JS code and there are lots of people trying many alternatives in order to overcome this lack of integrated dependencies management for the client-side code.

You'll find lots of gems that are only bundling JS assets with almost no Ruby code on them. This is one of the approaches. The one jquery-rails uses for instance.

The rails-assets project tries to automatically convert Bower dependencies to gems in their own repository rather than polluting the main RubyGems repo with tons of JS wrapper gems. It's not a perfect solution since there are several cases that it can't deal with, but it usually works great for many JS libraries and frameworks. Also, it has to deal with assets paths when converting the bower packages to gems so that they integrate well with Rails.

While I can see how Sprockets is not a good enough solution, I don't think that forcing users to convert their libraries in a RequireJS module is a good thing.

I'd love to see some solid integrated JS dependency management tool to play well with Rails but I'm not sure if this is gonna happen any time soon. Even for JS ecosystem it doesn't seem there is any consensus about what dependency management tool to use (in Ruby RubyGems is the de-facto standard for sure),

I'll keep using rails-assets.org until a better alternative comes up.