> Why would the community do that? What are the benefits? Why is Sprockets
bad?

I'm no expert, but what I like about it is:

- Direct JS libs management via `bower.json`, no more
http://rails-assets.org/ middleman

- Better concatenation and minification via Grunt tasks like
https://github.com/yeoman/grunt-usemin

- No more ExecJS or having to install JDK just to minify ones CSS via the
YUI Compressor

- Live reload in development mode

> Why would we replace it with something that is not up to its prime?

I'm not saying let's replace it right away. Unless we can recruit more
devs, bringing it to its prime might take a while as right now it's just
one guy, Mr Joe Fiorini.

> Wouldn't we have to rewrite a whole bunch of Rails code and documentation?

I'd gladly help with the docs.

> While I can see how Sprockets is not a good enough solution, I don't
think that forcing users to convert their libraries in a RequireJS module
is a good thing.

I'm not a big fan of this either, but what are the alternatives?

> I'd love to see some solid integrated JS dependency management tool to
play well with Rails but I'm not sure if this is gonna happen any time soon.

It's already here, and it's staring you right in the face.

Frank