+1 to what Matthew said

If we are switching the use case of the method to stripping indentation, I
wonder if we should just call it `outdent`.

By default it could auto detect the indentation like it does now, but there
were a couple of times I was processing strings with known indentation that
I want to remove, but for some reason the auto detection wasn’t quite
right.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rubyonrails-core/CAC%3DHGusZfbvJfVdP38vhZwPz6Anz6gLUo8%2BGFNmzV1TKJViT6Q%40mail.gmail.com.