We're actually going to deploy a ROR service this sunday using the
"Integrate Rails into an Existing IIS Web infrastructure using
Mongrel" strategy found on your site (big thanks for sharing that
knowledge btw). Which means we're using ISAPI Rewrite to forward
requests to one mongrel instance.

But looking at how people are usually deploying on *nix platforms with
mongrel_cluster using many mongrel instances on the same machine, I'm
wondering if just having one mongrel instance behind IIS is a bad
idea. Or rather, a non optimal solution.

I haven't really figured out what makes clustered mongrels better than
just having one mongrel though. It's not like I would put up a bunch
of IIS instances on the same machine to serve a .NET app, or a bunch
of Apaches on the same machine to serve a php app. But a bunch of
mongrels are apparently the way to go. How come?

In our case we can't replace IIS with Apache since it would probably
freak out the server administrator completely. And we do have som .NET
stuff on there as well ;)

Ideas of what the best deployment scenario with IIS in front would be
would be much appreciated.