Thanks a lot Chris. Sadly, I've got my work cut out for me, as changing
the name of the model in this fairly mature application is going to be
some work. But at least it all makes some sense now.

Is it possible to change the model name without changing the name of the
_associations_ that point to it in other models?  Or, I guess, to alias
the association name 'request' to an 'actual' association named
service_request or whatever. To give me less code that has to be
changed? Any advice as to the lowest impact way to change a model name
in a mature application with lots of code that refers to that model, and
to associations in other models that point to that model?

Odd that I got away with it in Rails 1.x, but oh well, I guess it was
really incorrect all along.

Jonathan