Yeah, you're right, sorry, thanks so much for your help. Probably for
the best that i changed the model name from Request anyway, might as
well commit that to my svn since it's advertised as a Rails reserved
word.

I just posted this to the forum with a different subject, since it ended
up having nothing to do with this, but. But I was forced to really get
down and dirty with my testing, and it turns out it's because I had
over-ridden [] and []= on one of the models involved. I got away with
that in Rails 1 (perhaps AR didn't used to use these methods?), but not
in Rails 2.  Okay, more refactoring, this one's even more of a pain then
the last one. Oh well, I guess I was being too clever before.

Jonathan