I noticed that you've already managed to resolve the issue, but I also
had a similar problem upgrading to 2.2.2 and found a quick work-
around. Here is my solution in case others need help (if this doesn't
work, try Jason Smith's method).

--------

If you are having problems with MySQL, getting errors like: “The
bundled mysql.rb driver has been removed from Rails 2.2. Please
install the mysql gem and try again: gem install mysql.” “C:/ruby/lib/
ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.7.3-x86-mswin32/ext/mysql.so”

Here is the solution: 1) First, gem install mysql. If this doesn’t
help continue… 2) Copy libmysql.dll from InstantRails (see below) to
your mysql directory (C:\mysql\bin\). Restart your computer and it
should be working.

InstantRails libmysql.dll:
http://instantrails.rubyforge.org/svn/trunk/InstantRails-win/InstantRails/mysql/bin/