Greenhopper is a Jira plugin for Scrum teams - Pivotal Tracker, Rally
and others get better reviews from users I have heard from.

Where I work we do a lot of Jira automation using the SOAP listener,
both with ruby and java - I have used jira4r (I posted a gemspec for
it on the Atlassian site if I am remembering correctly) - I think the
error you are getting means you do not have a supported XML processor
installed ...

All the gem does is if I remember correctly is store the session key
returned from login in an instance variable and then add that
parameter to every outgoing request that is made - it is pretty tiny
code-wise.

Max