Hi, I'm new here and started working with rails only a month ago.

I'm trying to develop a VideoGame Database that is supposed to contain
many many entries.

Here's my problem. Currently any new gameentry is listed in my
index-page like this

[code]

<% @games.each do |game| %>
    <!-- <td><%= link_to 'Edit', edit_game_path(game) %></td>  -->
:delete %></td>
<% end %>
[/code]

of course that doesn't make a lot of sense. No Shop or library (like
imdb) would have an accessible page listing the intire datatable. So I
want the index page only to display those games that were filtered by
the searchfield, which looks like this.

[code]

  <%= form_tag games_path, :method => 'get' do %>
      <%= text_field_tag :search, params[:search] %>
      <%= submit_tag "Search", :title_german => nil %>
  <% end %>
[/code]

My Model and my controller are defined as follows:

[code]
class Game < ActiveRecord::Base

  def self.search(search)
    if search
      find(:all, :conditions => ['title_german LIKE ?', "%#{search}%"])
    else
      find(:all)

class GamesController < ApplicationController

  def index
    @games = Game.search(params[:search])
[/code]

I was thinking about defining a helper method called "used_search?" in
the application_controller to used this method in an if-statement which
determines wether to display the index.html.erb or not...would that be
the usual way to solve this problem or what do experienced developers
do? I have no clue!

I would appreciate any kind of help! thanks