Walter, I've looked at the Ruby source code of a few games, and I'm
starting to see what you're talking about.  I see that more experienced
Ruby developers don't cram everything into one file like I did.  I see that
I should be giving each class its own file, and I should be using Modules.
I see that there are Ruby scripts that use a Gemfile but not Rails.  (Is
there a "ruby generate" or "ruby new" command analogous to "rails generate"
and "rails new"?)

What do you think of Conway's Game of Life at
https://github.com/spaghetticode/game-of-life-ruby ?  I've tried it out, so
I know it works.  Does the source code set an example of coding practices
to emulate?