On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 10:18 AM, Pat Johnson <p.johnson...@gmail.com> wrote:
> No, there is no "ruby generate" or "ruby new" commands that would generate a
> skeleton program. Ruby itself is just like any other compiled on the fly
> interpreted programming language. You can simply write code in a text file
> and execute it via the ruby interpreter. Rails on the otherhand is a
> collection of Ruby scripts arranged in such a way that the default
> conventions somewhat require it to be organized in such a way to keep it as
> simple as possible. A suggestion when creating ruby programs it is
> convenient to keep it modular, ie. do not have everything in one .rb file.
> sort things out it makes life so much easier if you ever need to make
> changes remove or implement new capabilities to your program.

As far as generators go, there actually are a few. The ones I'm most
familiar with generate directory and file structure, and have some
opinions about where best to place things. These are a few I use:

- bundler gem gemname
- methadone [options] cliappname
- GLI [options] clisappsuitename

The thor gem talks about it's use as a generator tool as well.