The "2" or "3" after the gem refers to the version of the mysql rails adapter
(the gem), not the version of MySQL

What does your Gemfile actually say ?

also it might be that you're on Windows, in which case you may have special
considerations building & compiling that Gem and/or MySQL (beyond my expertise,
but you might want to look for a set of instructions on the internet
specifically for setting up Rails+MySQL on windows)