Having finished the Michael Hartl Rails tutorial, which uses Cloud9 as
development environment, I would like to redo it configuring my machine
(Ubuntu 14.04 LTS) as a local development environment.

I am determined to use *Atom* + Terminal, and I would really appreciate
some help in determining what remains of all the necessary software to be
installed in my computer, because the tutorial is not much helpful in this
respect.

Before Rails I decided to study some Ruby.
In the official Ruby web page
<https://www.ruby-lang.org/en/documentation/installation/#railsinstaller>,
Bitnami RubyStack is recommended as a complete development environment for
Rails. Since I planned to study Ruby for Rails, I installed Bitnami
RubyStack: would you recommend to keep it? Or, as I suspect, it would be
better to install each component separately?

The official Rails web page used to provide a link
<http://guides.railsgirls.com/install#setup-for-linux> for those interested
in how to install the Ruby on Rails development environment: would that be
a recommendable solution?

Combining my brief experience as a student and The RailsApps Project
suggestions <http://railsapps.github.io/installrubyonrails-ubuntu.html>, I
suppose I need the following applications:

   - A *database*: the Rails Tutorial uses *SQLite* but Heroku recommends
   to use *PostgreSQL* also in development (Heroku uses PostgreSQL). I am
   undecided because on the one hand I completed the course without noticing
   any incompatibility between SQLite and PostgreSQL, and Michael Hartl says
   that SQLite is *much* easier than PostgreSQL. On the other hand I do not
   know the limits of compatibility between the two databases, so I would not
   like to find myself into trouble.

   - *RVM*: will I need RVM for switching between Ruby versions? The
   RailsApps project recommends it. For the tutorial, it was more determinant
   the possibility to choose the Rails version than that of Ruby.

   - *Bundler*: is it installed with Ruby of will I need to install it
   separately?

   - *Node.js*: the RailsApps project says that "for development on Ubuntu
   Linux it is best to install the Node.js server-side JavaScript environment".

   - *Web server*: what local web server would you suggest? *WEBrick*?
   Apache? The tutorial uses WEBrick.

   - *Git*: Git is already installed with Ubuntu. Will that be enough?

Would you recommend anything else?
Finally, I suppose I will need to find documentation on how to configure
all these applications: do you have any suggestion about that?

Many thanks in advance