What does it mean for something to be  "NIO ( non-blocking) "

Incidentally, is Apache web server, alone by itself, non-blocking?

As for Conrad's most recent comment, it sounds like one incarnation of
Glassfish gem with a couple of JRuby runtimes could likely handle a
fairly good amount of traffic? -Janna