Perhaps, we can take this discussion to glassfish gem forum at:
http://rubyforge.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=21309.

Anyway, to answer your question:

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 3:06 AM, Alex Buijs <
rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net> wrote:

> Vivek Pandey wrote:
> > Huh! What is overkill with GlassFish? With glassfish v3 server, you can
> > deploy your Rails application without any packaging. Just to run your
> > Rails
> > app on a Java server should not ask you to package it as WAR file.
> >
> > Get glassfish v3 preview from here:
> >
> http://download.java.net/glassfish/v3-preview/release/glassfish-v3-preview.zip
> >
> > and try it it is fast, reliable and suports deployment of Rails
> > applications
> > developed on JRuby  without any need to do any additional
> > packaging/configuration etc.
> >
> > -vivek.
> > 2009/6/7 Maurício Linhares <mauricio.linha...@gmail.com>
>
> Hi Vivek,
>
> Can you perhaps point me in a direction on how to get our rails app up
> and running with glassfish v3 server? We need to bring our app to
> production soon. Currently we are running with the glassfish gem, but it
> has the limitation that jdbc connection pooling can't be enabled. We
> really should enable this for production.

Right it is a pending feature request for gem, I can try to implement this
feature request in the next gem release.

> Also it seems the gem suffers from some memory problems. We configure it
> to use maximum 4 instances, but after some time it just crashes with an
> out of memory error. In the logs it looks like many more instances are
> created than the maximum, which supposedly causes the memory to run out
> after some time.

This should not happen. You may be better off by fixing the pool size. The
dynamic pool behavior might be causing issues.

Try this argument so that the dynamic pooling does not try to shrink the
pool size:

--runtimes-min 4

> We start glassfish with this command on a 8 core windows server 2003
> with 4GB of memory:
> jruby -J-server -J-Xmx1400m -J-Xms1400m -J-XX:PermSize=256m
> -J-XX:MaxPermSize=256m -S glassfish -n 4 --runtimes-max 4 -e prd -p 3010
> D:\MPP\jruby\rails

These settings look ok.

See instructions to run your rails app on glassfish v3:

http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=DeployAndRunRailsOnGlassFishV3

You can reach me at vivek.pandey at gmail.com and I can help you go to
production for any specific need.

-vivek.