On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 5:45 PM, Jeff Pritchard <
rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net> wrote:

> A search of this forum for "cloud" brought up a pretty anemic and mostly
> year or more old list of stuff.  That was a bit of a surprise to me.
>
> I'm interested in getting opinions on the easiest way to deploy a Rails
> app to a well known (S3 or similar) "cloud" server.
>
> It should be something with little or no "installation" or
> "establishment" fees and no monthly fees...just the per/megabyte traffic
> fees.
>
> Would be great if deployment was via capistrano, just like a VM or
> dedicated server would be.
>
> Has anyone made this cheap and easy yet?  Or do you still have to roll
> your own implementation using API's that were designed to be general in
> nature and thus requiring significant development effort to get it
> deployed?
>
> thanks,
> jp

I am using Rightscale and I'm very happy with the Rails integration.  BTW,
Rightscale is a front-end to Amazon Services (i.e. EC2, S3, Cloudfront, and
so on).  Also, it costs a bit more for their service in addition to Amazon
charges
but it was well worth it for our business.  This will be common with the
other
front-ends to Amazon.

Furthermore, I'm very pleased with the ability to have better control as to
what's
going on with my server instances.  Also, if you're publishing a lot of
media assets
and the site has a great deal of traffic, then I would recommend having some
CDN functionality within your sites' configuration.  Hulu.com would be a
very good
example of the use of a CDN and Rails.

When I was in Japan, I noticed that every Japanese site was extremely fast
being
that my connection speed was 1 Giga bit per second.  However, it was a
sudden
drop-off when accessing sites in the US that didn't have a local CDN.  Thus,
you should
use a CDN where it makes sense for creating the best user experience.

Next, I would first focus on building solid Rails website architecture
before thinking about
scaling a site that doesn't exist by using the cloud.  Once the site has
been built, then
you can make better decisions on how to properly scale your site.  For
examples, there are
tools that can easily allow one to simulate N concurrent users across
multiple servers

Lastly, it doesn't matter which option you select you'll have to pay for any
high-traffic site
that uses a lot of bandwidth.  Thus, you may also want to take a look at
Google App Engine.

Good luck,

-Conrad